When the Windows Phone Application is developed, it is necessary that one needs to set the required capabilities in the WMAppManifest.xml file. Some of these capabilities include
- ID_CAP_SPEECH_RECOGNITION etc.
What is the Use of Capabilities in the Windows Phone App?
Below are some of the reasons why we need to set the capabilities for the App.
1. When the user downloads and installs the Windows Phone app, it is necessary for the user to know about phone’s resources that the app uses. These could be microphone, network, camera etc. . . . The capabilities does exactly that. It provides an information to the user what the app can do and which phone functionalities the app uses when the user tries to download the app. These are displayed when the user is about to download and install. Now, the user can decide if he needs to download and install the app based on the Phone functionalities that the app used.
2. When the Windows Phone App is submitted to the Windows Phone store, the XAP (deployment) file will be decompressed and validated. The capabilities of the app is determined at this stage and written back to the manifest file during repackaging.
3. During the development, the developer can remove the unnecessary capabilities and include only the ones that are used by the App so that the capabilities that are not used can be avoided. By this , the developer is sure of what capabilities the app uses as well . There is an exception (different rule) in setting the capabilities for the Networking and Front Facing Camera though.
4. When the Capabilities are not defined in your Windows Phone App and when the App tries to access these API, you might get the “Access denied message” and then the app may exit unexpectedly.
The ItemsControl in Windows Phone has the ItemsSource property which can be assigned a collection such as Lists or Arrays . This example demonstrates how to bind the collection to ...READ MORE
Splash Screen makes your App look good when it is loading initially . It might be a good idea to have a splash screen specially for the apps that takes ...READ MORE
The IsolatedStorageFile class in Windows Phone provides the methods that indicate the amount of space (free/total space) for isolated storage.
The IsolatedStorageFile class has the following members which could be used ...READ MORE
Q&A #37 – What are different Location Sensing Technologies used by Windows Phone? There are various ways with which the Windows Phone identifies the Location. Some of the techniques include Cell ...READ MORE
Windows Phone developers ... Are you planning to port your Windows Phone app to Windows 8?
Here's part 1 of an interesting case study from the Telerik Windows Phone Team on ...READ MORE
In Windows Phone 7 , the developers can take advantage of the class DeviceExtendedProperties to get the unique id of the device .
The DeviceExtendedProperties which is part of the Microsoft.Phone.Info ...READ MORE
Oxygene and Windows Phone 8 tutorials - Article Index
The Windows Phone 8 SDK provides Windows Phone Emulators which can be used by the developers to run their Windows Phone app ...READ MORE
The Speech API in Windows Phone 8 allows the developers to integrate the Voice Command functionality in their Windows Phone which in turn allows the users to
Launch the Windows Phone ...READ MORE
Sometimes it may be necessary for you to play a sound on some action in your Windows Phone 7 . This could be on click of the button for the ...READ MORE
You can create an Application Bar in Windows Phone Page quickly using the Visual Studio 2012 . If you have developed app in Windows Phone 7.1 in Visual Studio 2010 ...READ MORE
This article will explain in simple steps on how to enable Fast App Resume in Windows Phone 8 App.
The Windows Phone 8 includes a new feature called "Fast App ...READ MORE
Telerik RadControls for Windows Phone provides the RadRating , a rating control that enables the developers to implement the rating mechanism in their Windows Phone Application .
The RadRating control allows ...READ MORE
BEPUphysics is a 3D Physics library developed by BEPU.
BEPUphysics currently supports Windows Phone and XBox 360.
BEPUphysics engine's primary version is for XNA , but below are few options if you ...READ MORE
The Microsoft Research Face SDK Beta for Windows Phone integrates the latest face technologies from Microsoft research teams and provides stats of the art algorithms for processing the facial images ...READ MORE
During the Binding of the Data to the ListBox , it is only possible to bind the public properties to the ItemSource .
If you are binding the public fields to ...READ MORE
The guardian news and media has published its app for Windows Phone Devices that provides the latest news and content from Gaurdian to your Windows Phone .
The App is highly ...READ MORE
In Windows Phone , you could use the BingMapsDirectionsTask to get the driving direction from one location to another location.
The BingMapsDirectionsTask will launch the Map application where you could view ...READ MORE
If you want to search for a Location and display it on the Bing Map in Windows Phone , you can use the BingMapTask .
How to search for a Location ...READ MORE
Nokia Lumia 822 is a smartphone from Nokia powered by Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 and is exclusively available for Verizon carrier.
Nokia Lumia 822 is a variant of Nokia Lumia 820 ...READ MORE
How to search for a Location with Coordinates on Bing Map in Windows Phone ?
How to get the Current Geo Coordinates in Windows Phone using C# ?
How to ...READ MORE
Oxygene and WP8 – Binding Collections to ItemsControl
How to Create Splash Screen in Windows Phone
How to find out the Space in isolated
Q&A #37 – What are different Location Sensing
Designing a Windows 8 Metro style app starting
How to get the UniqueID of the Windows
Oxygene and WP8 – Run Windows phone App
Launching your Windows Phone App using Voice Commands
Adding a sound to the Button Click via
Creating Application Bar in Windows Phone Page via
How to Enable Fast App Resume in Windows
Telerik RadControls for Windows Phone – Article #5
BEPUphysics 3D Physics library for Windows Phone
Microsoft Research Face SDK Beta for Windows Phone
You can’t do this in Binding the Data
The Guardian app for Windows Phone
How to get Driving Directions in Windows Phone
How to search for a Location on Bing
Nokia Lumia 822 Windows Phone Specifications
MobileOSGeek Weekly Links – 28-10-2012
Interesting Articles to Read
The following two tabs change content below.
Senthil Kumar is a Speaker , Blogger and Software Engineer from Bangalore. He is a Microsoft MVP in Client Development. He primarily works on .NET technologies like C# , ASP.NET MVC , Entity Framework , SQL Server etc. He is a Windows Phone Enthusiast and writes about Windows Phone and Mobile development at MobileOSGeek.com.